Production Business Unit Manager
- Full Time
- Date Posted: 28th March 2019
- Reference: 899995
My client is looking for an experienced and proven Production/ Assembly Line Manager in Bradford to join a leading manufacturing and contracting business who are about to start an exciting new venture supplying off site modular built pods into the construction industry.
This is an exceptional and rare opportunity to take responsibility for a new business unit and the successful candidate will need the experience, confidence and gravitas to join a fledgling operation and build the operational processes and controls from the ground up. We are looking for a strong individual from a lean production/ assembly background who will, as the business grows, also be capable of fronting the commercial/ client interface.
The role will have full operational and P&L responsibility for the business unit so a strong, credible and self motivated individual is required. You will be expected to demonstrate that you have had a high level of financial accountability in your career to date. The position will report to the Production Director but with strong links to both the Client and Finance Director.
Duties and responsibilities
- Recruit, manage and train teams of operatives covering a variety of trades/ disciplines required in the component manufacture and assembly process.
- Manage the supply chain and ensure that materials and components required in the assembly operation are available as and when required.
- Control of materials from goods receipt to location in stock to issue into work.
- Continuous improvement of the assembly process adopting lean manufacturing principles wherever appropriate.
- Liaise with the Production Planning department to ensure that jobs are created correctly in the ERP system to allow effective build and cost control.
- Produce weekly labour cost reports to demonstrate actual costs are in line with estimated costs.
- Track and minimise material variances from estimate.
- Liaise with our clients to ensure the customer experience is world class.
- Shape and influence the capital infrastructure as the business grows.
- Submit monthly production reports for the board of directors.
- Ensure rigorous compliance with company ISO procedures.
- Ensure rigorous compliance with company Health & Safety procedures.
Qualifications/ Knowledge & Skills Required
- Knowledge of Pod manufacture desirable.
- High level of Lean Manufacturing experience and the ability to demonstrate delivery of production improvement initiatives.
- High degree of computer literacy and strong understanding of the benefits of automated MRP/ production planning systems.
- Confident and strong in managing and developing people and building teams.
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively with directors, colleagues and customers.